[Imports] [Import] Infrastructures and Village boundaries of Surabaya City (Indonesia- East Java region)

Dewi Sulistioningrum dewi.sulistioningrum at hotosm.org
Tue Sep 27 05:46:54 UTC 2016

Hi Walter,

Before I plan to upload the boundaries import data for Surabaya, I have
received some feedback and helped by Ivan Garcia
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Capiscuas> who has expertise in
correcting boundaries and has previously worked with us in settling Jakarta
boundaries.

The current raw file has the boundary relations already, which I think is
quite accurate. I will send the link to the raw gis data when it's uploaded
on github.

In regards to the current boundaries in Surabaya, we had contacted those
who mapped them previously but they were unable to provide the data license
/ approval and I believe our data which is formally attained from
Indonesian government is more accurate.

I might need to clarify that HOT Indonesia, which is where I work now, has
not focused its work yet on the issue of data import due to some problem
attaining the data from Indonesian government and in explaining about the
sensitivity of it to Indonesian OpenStreetMap Community. Thank you very
much for your input, we plan to work more on correcting this issue
following OpenStreetMap procedures of validating existing data and
improving data quality in the incoming project.

Best

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Walter Nordmann <wnordmann at gmx.de> wrote:

> i read "Using JOSM to import and upload the new data after reviewing each
> administrative level." in your wiki.
>
> Sorry, but that is not enough - to me. Did you ever edit/create boundary
> relations before? if not, you should never ever do that right now.
>
> i found a lot of duplicated and technically wrong boundaries in your
> country.
>
> i.g. in this area: https://osm.wno-edv-service.de
> /images/osm/snaps_2016/boundaries_in_indonesia_mapnik.png i see
> overlapping incorrect boundaries: https://osm.wno-edv-service.de
> /images/osm/snaps_2016/boundaries_in_indonesia.png
> Probably some older imports, which did not respect the existing
> boundaries. And believe me, that is not the only one, there are dozends.
>
> And what are you planning to do with the outline of Surabaya? Deleting
> those bundaries will damage the areas outside of Surabaya.
>
> regards
>
> walter

Regards,
Dewi Sulistioningrum
dewi.sulistioningrum at hotosm.org

*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team *
Indonesia Office: Jalan MH. Thamrin Kav 3, Menara Thamrin Lt. 15
US Office: OpenGov Hub 1110 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC,
20005 USA
Mobile: +62856 9571 1331
http://openstreetmap.org/ | http://openstreetmap.id
blog <http://openstreetmap.id/> | twitter <http://twitter.com/osm_id> |