[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Dec 9 19:12:33 UTC 2017

On 09.12.2017 18:19, Pavel Machek wrote:
> So you are proposing a system where we can't even import ODbL licensed data?

Indeed. Although it's not really a new proposal, I'm just finally acting
on an issue that has been known and documented for a long time.

> That's pretty stupid, right?

No. If it seems counter-intuitive, that's only because of the simple,
but incomplete narrative that "OSM switched to the ODbL". What actually
happened was that mappers were asked to accept the Contributor Terms.

Those terms grant the OSMF the right to publish the database as either
CC-BY-SA or ODbL+DbCL (or both at the same time). And this same document
also describes a mechanism for adding more licenses to that list in the
future. It's not an afterthought, but an integral part of the compromise
that was achieved back then, and it's based on the painful lessons we
learned in the process.