[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Sat Dec 9 22:56:17 UTC 2017

On Sat 2017-12-09 20:12:33, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 09.12.2017 18:19, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > So you are proposing a system where we can't even import ODbL licensed data?
>
> Indeed. Although it's not really a new proposal, I'm just finally acting
> on an issue that has been known and documented for a long time.

Actually no, I do not think agreement on that issue exists. Best I
could find on the wiki that ODbL-only is a concern when importing.

> > That's pretty stupid, right?
>
> No. If it seems counter-intuitive, that's only because of the simple,
> but incomplete narrative that "OSM switched to the ODbL". What actually
> happened was that mappers were asked to accept the Contributor Terms.

Actually that narrative was complete, at least for some accounts.

> Those terms grant the OSMF the right to publish the database as either
> CC-BY-SA or ODbL+DbCL (or both at the same time). And this same document
> also describes a mechanism for adding more licenses to that list in the
> future. It's not an afterthought, but an integral part of the compromise
> that was achieved back then, and it's based on the painful lessons we
> learned in the process.

And there will be more painful lessons if OSMF is stupid enough to try
to mess with licensing in future.

									Pavel