[Imports] Import of buildings heights in Montpellier, France

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 22:23:49 UTC 2017

On 10 December 2017 at 22:06, Peter Barth <osm-peda at won2.de> wrote:
> Anyways, if one still imports data, it
> shouldn't be asked too much to try and ask for a permission for OSM
> instead of a permission for a specific license.

That's still a license - unless you're asking the copyright holder to
reassign their copyright entirely to OSM!

My interpretation of the License and Legal FAQ mentioned earlier [1]
is basically "yes, you can import ODbL-licensed data, but make sure
it's clearly marked so it can be reverted in the event of a license
change". The import which originally sparked this discussion
exemplifies this - it's an import of a single attribute using
changeset tags and it's documented on the wiki. It's simple to revert.

There are plenty of other situations where ODbL-derived data is being
imported into OSM much more insidious ways, though. If this is a
concern, this is something which deserves clarification from the LWG
and/or the board.

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Licence_and_Legal_FAQ#Can_third-party_ODbL-licensed_data_be_imported.3F

--