[Imports] Walmart import

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 00:12:04 UTC 2017

Hi Frederik,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/15/2017 11:31 PM, Damian Rollison wrote:
> > We ask that you please take a look at the data at the following site and
> > check the tagging and locations:
>
> I have little knowledge of Walmart and therefore should leave the floor
> to  people with local knowledge. I see that another commenter has
> already assessed your contribution to be superior with no questions
> asked within an amazingly short time. I hope you will find more diligent
> reviewers like him; careful reviews like that are what make an import a
> success for both businesses and the community.

I don't really appreciate the quiet insults you're throwing at me here.
It's still negative and condescending even if you don't say my name.

If you read my response I said that it looks great (it does!), that they're
doing it the right way (they're following the import guidelines to a
greater degree than the SEO spammers and many others - including
longstanding members of the community), and that it seems like a vast
improvement over what we already have (it is! Useful new data like opening
hours is being added).

On top of that, Damian is from a commercial data provider that is (a)
worked with Ilya to build an excellent user interface to review the
proposed data, (c) converted opening hours formats properly in the cases
I've seen, and (d) did an above average job merging with existing data.

> I have randomly selected only one of the > 4000 objects from the browse
> link (http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/nampa.jpg) and have the
> following observations/questions, but ultimately this is of course
> something the US community should decide and I'm an ocean away.
>
> 1. Do you happen to have building outlines too, or is there a process by
> which whoever adds the thing to OSM can quickly add the building outline
> from aerial imagery? It seems like not too much extra work, if one looks
> at 4000 POIs anyway, to quickly trace a building to go with it.
>
> 2. In my particular example, there seems to be a pharmacy in OSM that is
> mapped separately, but also called "Wal-Mart". The import does nothing
> to the pharmacy. I don't know if all Wal-Marts have a pharmacy - the
> pharmacy POI is certainly within the Wal-Mart building. Is that a
> completely separate issue, or would e.g. your opening times information
> apply to the pharmacy as well?

Pharmacies in Wal-Marts and other large shopping buildings like this
usually have different hours, different phone numbers, etc. It makes sense
to me that they would have separate nodes inside a building polygon.

> 3. Personally I am a bit skeptical about the shop names; I see that in
> my example you are changing "Wal-Mart" to "Walmart Supercenter" and I
> assume that Wal-Mart will, like many other chains, have different
> classes of supermarkets and will have different trade names for these -
> super, hyper, metro, local, whatever. I'm not sure if these
> chain-specific denominations are really desirable to have in the name
> tag; they seem to me to be more a marketing tool than anything else. I
> have checked Google Street View for this particular Walmart bulding and
> the sign on the building just says "Walmart", not "Walmart Supercenter".
> I would probably be tempted to map it as such - i.e. "name=Walmart", not
> "name=Walmart Supercenter". (It's also easier on the map - a longer name
> runs a higher risk of being dropped due to space constraints.)

A Wal-Mart Supercenter is a bigger Wal-Mart with more features (they
usually have a supermarket, for example). I imagine the one you looked at
has been upgraded since the streetview was captured. More information about
the various brandings of Wal-Mart can be found with a simple scan of their
Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart#Walmart_U.S.