[Imports] RFC for City of Basel Suburb Import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 16:40:33 UTC 2017

Hi, Johannes:

It is documented here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary

>> Although a bit off-topic, I have seen that all boundaries in
>> Switzerland need some corrections. When looking at level 9 entities, I
>> checked for example Jorat-Menthue (admin_level=8), in District du
>> Gros-de-Vaud (6), Canton of Vaud, that is divided in 5 admin_level=9
>> entities. I saw that this Jorat-Menthue is duplicated (2 relations)
>> [2]. > It would be nice
>> that an experienced user of the Swiss OSM community has a check
>> nation-wide to correct this and other errors.
>
> What other errors do you see?  Can you tell me an Overpass query that
> your insights are based on?

Sorry: I wanted to say "... to correct this and other **possible**
errors...".

As I was just looking for an example of admin_level=9 administrative
divisions and I found that duplicate example, I find it quite probable
that there might be other mistakes here and there. It's only a guess,
and in any case I am quite sure this happens with mostly all countries.
Sometimes errors come from newbies who don't know really how to handle a
boundary relation.

The overpass to download all administrative boundaries of Switzerland
that I used is:

[timeout:150];
(
node["boundary"="administrative"](area:3600051701);
way["boundary"="administrative"](area:3600051701);
relation["boundary"="administrative"](area:3600051701);
);
out meta;
 >;
out meta;

Running the JOSM validator I can give you some error examples:

1. Heimiswil [1] in Canton Bern has 470 duplicated nodes.

2. Bonfol [2] and Vendlincourt [3] nodes, that are duplicated as members
of their respective relations with label and admin_centre roles.

3. Zürich airport area [4] is tagged as boundary=administrative, and
crossing the boundaries it finds on its way.

4. Apart of Zürich airport, there are other 4 boundary=administrative
segments around Switzerland without the admin_level tag. One exemple is
this one [5], that belongs to 2 admin_level=6 entities, 2 admin_level=8,
1 admin_level=9 and 1 admin_level=10.

The rest of the errors, like 25 unclosed boundaries, you can get them
from the JOSM validator.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1682474