[Imports] U.S.-Mexico border fence update

Michael Corey mcorey at revealnews.org
Tue Jan 24 19:55:41 UTC 2017

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts!

A little more background: When I was doing this the first time, I was
using OSM as my canonical version, drawing what I was finding in JOSM,
then downloading it back out of OSM with Overpass to get a local
version. My main reasons for doing that were to A) encourage other
contributions, especially in areas I couldn't easily get to in person to
check and B) to ensure that any work we did was public already in case
the government tried to shut us down because they regarded the location
of the fence as secret. (They never did, but I still think it's a risk,
even though we're talking about a 20-foot-tall fence that's pretty
visible in Google Earth.)

This did lead to some issues, though. For one thing, I don't think I
really ever saw any large-scale contributions from other users -- in
fact, most changes that got made seemed to be people mistakenly moving
segments, probably because the fence is so close to the actual border
line and runs along so many roads.

And it was also harder for me to tell other news organizations that I
was confident in the data coming out of OSM -- it was pretty
buyer-beware, which of course is always something to be aware of with
OSM data. I was also worried someone might delete my custom tags that
didn't have specific meaning in OSM, but were important for designating
government IDs and things like that.

And finally, when I was doing the update this time, it seemed easier to
use QGIS to quickly bring in all the data sources I needed -- lots of
georeferenced PDFs, many shapefile layers etc.

Another issue that I will start to have is when we start dealing with
historical and future fence/wall plans -- the place for that is probably
not OSM.

None of these are complaints, just some explanations of how my thought
process is working. And at the same time, I certainly want OSM to
reflect the updated work.

In terms of things that have changed, some segments will have been
deleted and recreated, some, with way IDs intact, will have changed in
size and may be duplicates of other ways.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks again,

Michael Corey
Senior News Applications Developer