[Imports] Importing fuel stations in UK and future similar imports

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon May 15 08:09:11 UTC 2017

On 12/05/17 18:08, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> * "The general view seems to be against IDs like this": what has
> happened with the principle "any tags you like"? Did we saturate the
> key space and not accepting new keys anymore? Can I read that
> "general view" documented anywhere? The "ref:navads_shell" key is the
> only one that is not verifiable on the ground, and is clearly added
> so the further updates do not have to rely on matching.

To chime in, and say I think it's OK to have external ids/refs
like this. I've done an import which added such a ref and use that tag
elsewhere. I can totally see the benefit for this w.r.t. to make it
easier for OSM to interoperate with other datasets. With the obvious
caveat, of "don't rely on it too much, the OSM community might get rid
of it"