[Imports] Import shapefiles to openstreetmaps. Paraguay.

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Oct 5 09:14:27 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 04 October 2017, Lucy Ganchozo wrote:

> Following the steps from the Import Guideline of
> wiki.openstreetmaps.org and in order to comply the right procedure to
> import of data to OSM, this mail aims to inform and put into
> discussion the intention of the "MapPyOSM" team to import polygons in
> shapefile of buildings mapped from the center of the city Encarnación
> - Paraguay, product of a mapping made between 2015 to 2016 during the
> elaboration of the 'Plan Encarnación Más', the urban and territorial
> plan from Encarnación - Paraguay.

Hello Lucy,

what you need to do before we can review your plans here is:

* discuss your plan with the local community and get approval there.
* make clear the license terms of the data are compatible with OSM.
* creating a wiki page documenting your import plans.
* showing the data you want to import.

The full step-by-step instructions can be found on

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

Technically for a building import you need to in particular see how you
avoid buildings overlapping with existing data in OSM (like roads,
waterbodies and pre-existing buildings) in incompatible ways.  There
are many past building imports that had to do the same so you can
probably get some useful advise here from those who managed previous
(well made) building imports.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/