[Imports] Bing Building Import

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Jul 3 09:37:32 UTC 2018

On Monday 02 July 2018, Greg Morgan wrote:
> I have started work on the Bing building import for Arizona us.  I
> have started this page here
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/US/BingBuildings
> for the import.  This wiki page may be used by other mappers in
> different states.
>
> [...]

First thanks for bringing this up early in the process - although this
is too early obviously for an import review it is good to have a broad
discussion early.

A few points i would like to comment on:

* legal aspects:  Microsoft released the data under the ODbL but does
not specify what data sources go into producing it (in particular
training data!) and does not make any claims that the data is free of
third party rights.  I would not be fine with importing data of unknow
provenance and without a meaningful guarantee that it is free of third
party rights.

* quality aspects:  In contrast to almost all other data sets where
there is some quantitative specification of quality (either explicitly
or implicitly due to the purpose the data set is created for) there is
no indication of quality in what Microsoft has released beyond the
vague and meaningless 'awsome quality' claims.  IMO this means that a
proper import review would only be possible based on a thorough
analysis of the quality of Microsoft's product that holds up to
scientific scrutiny.

Regarding quality in general - you should not make the mistake of trying
to assess quality by picking a few places and manually reviewing the
data based on gut feeling - possibly with the same imagery used as
reference as Microsoft used in data set generation.  What i
called "analysis of the quality that holds up to scientific scrutiny"
means picking a sufficiently large number of sample locations
representative for the diverse geography of the US and doing a
quantitative analysis based on reference data of known and high
quality.

Microsoft's process documentation contains a number of hints that
indicate things can go wrong in the process in ways that are likely to
produce significant errors of kinds that are very unlikely to happen in
manual mapping.  Without having reliable data on how often these things
do happen (and how this varies between different geographic settings)
you would essentially be doing a blind import.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/