[Imports] Ongoing Canadian building import needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

Yaro Shkvorets shkvorets at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:38:58 UTC 2019

Hi Nate,

I'm one of the three guys actively doing the import as zzptichka_import. I
didn't write the wiki and joined the import once it started but so far it's
been going fairly well IMO.
If you go back a couple of months into this list archive you'll see the
discussion of this import. There has been discussion of this import on
the osm-ca channel as well.
Data, at least in Toronto is of very good quality. Some buildings (only in
some parts of Toronto) have overlapping 3D features that need to be dealt
with and we've discussed that on slack chats in details once we've come
across this in Toronto. I agree that needs to be added to the wiki.

As for your specific concerns,

1) There was a discussion going on in the import list (starting with Ottawa
import a year ago) and in the slack channel. If you have any concerns let's
talk.

2) Overlapping buildings in this particular example is what you get with
aforementioned 3D features. It had to be dealt with, we've discussed that
with DannyMcD. I agree this is not acceptable and he'll have to go back and
re-validate those (as far as I can see there are not many errors like
these). You can go through 300000 buildings imported by me and won't find
anything like that: https://osmcha.mapbox.com/?filters=%7B
"users"%3A%5B%7B"label"%3A"zzptichka_import"%2C"value"%3A"zzptichka_import"%7D%5D%2C"date__gte"%3A%5B%7B"label"%3A""%2C"value"%3A""%7D%5D%7D

3) Task manager doesn't allow to split squares further unfortunately.
However, as someone who has done multiple of those squares over last couple
of weeks I can tell you with JOSM hotkeys and filters it's fairly easy to
do. Typically it takes me no more that 1 hour to validate dense square with
~5000 buildings and fix several dozen other building and highway-related
JOSM warnings (Toronto unfortunately has rather poor OSM quality)

4) Task Manager instructions page (that I've edited) clearly requests to
validate and fix all building-related errors and warnings. Can't say for
DannyMcD(who I know as a very meticulous mapper) and carpbunker but I
follow this process religiously.

5) Again, instructions page request to use "Replace geometry" when
possible. I'll see if I can add this to the wiki page if it's not there. As
for me, I ALWAYS us "Replace geometry" on buildings that have any
meaningful tags. I only delete existing buildings when I come across a
cluster of roughly drawn shapes with the only generic "building=yes" tag.
Executing replace geometry for each pair of those buildings would be
insanely time-consuming. If you know of any better solution please let me
know.

Thanks for flagging issues with the import. I'll ask guys to stop importing
and address the raised concerns and resume only after everything has been
dealt with.

Best Regards,
          Yaro Shkvorets