[Imports] UN Mappers import of UNSOS waterways in Somalia

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:48:29 UTC 2020

Hi:

I've consulted a colleague expert in hydrology, and he told me about
these fosil rivers:

"The term fosil rivers is not widely used "scientifically", they are
rather called Paleo channels and it is for rivers that have dried up
since 1000s of years and most of these paleo rivers are buried or filled
with sediments.

If a river gets dry for any reason (let say for some decades ) but u
could still see the river course (which is only possible in very rare
occasions) u could still call it a river just to maintain the landmark
notation and geography."

I am not an expert, and I would do what Arne suggest if I was mapping
without discussing this with anybody, but still, like Arne, I see the
lack of a tag for these kind of rivers.

As for the Lagh Dara, this colleague has sent me two images of the
rivers passing by Afmadow town.

One shows the river as we can see it normally: https://flic.kr/p/2iNyA5a

But the second shows how it was during the 2018 devastating floodings:
https://flic.kr/p/2iNyA7z

He has been on UN missions in Somalia many times, so he has too on the
ground knowledge.

By the way: the Lagh Dera river geometry is right now of very poor
geometry in OSM, while the UNSOS one is very good in comparison:
https://flic.kr/p/2iNyQ6G

Cheers,

Rafael.

O 09/04/20 ás 10:47, Arne Kimmig via Imports escribiu: