[Imports] UN Mappers import of UNSOS waterways in Somalia

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:45:35 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 9. Apr 2020, at 18:34, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
> I have not made a statement on what can be called a river and what not.
> That is a speciality problem of English language semantics.  What i
> said is that a feature that shows no verifiable water flow in present
> times is not to be tagged as waterway=*.

I agree if there isn’t any waterflow in many decades (don’t know how many areas like this there are), but if there is occasional precipitation, you will likely have the water flowing in this river (unless it is completely seeping away), and you will be able to verify this just by looking at the landscape. You can ask someone whether the river will carry water from time to time, so you could verify it on the ground (there might also be other signs that there is sometimes water), and whoever else could do the same to verify it. There mustn’t be water at the time of survey.

Cheers Martin