[Imports] Helsinki region public transportation stop import

Korhonen, Juuso juuso.korhonen at cgi.com
Tue Aug 25 14:12:32 UTC 2020

Dear list,

We have planned a one-time data import of Helsinki Region Transport (Helsingin seudun liikenne, "HSL" in short) public transportation stop (bus, rail, metro, ferry) attribute data into OSM. The import has been brewing for a while now and I'm kindly asking for a review of the international OSM community.

The import page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Finland:HSL/HSL_bus_stop_import

The import page has all the details but here is a short summary:

Community discussion and more detailed background of the reasons for the import by HSL representative and OSM-user houtari (both Finnish/Swedish):
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=64864

The data is openly available CC-BY 4.0 HSL stop data:
https://public-transport-hslhrt.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/hsln-pys%C3%A4kit

We have explicit written permission and a waiver for ODbL compatibility:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/7/75/HSL_permission.pdf

1) we are doing an automated update of ref-tag value of public transportation stops within the municipality of Helsinki by adding a "H" prefix to ref if the stop is missing the prefix
2) Additionally the import adds names in both of the official languages of Finnish/Swedish and shelter=yes/no for public transportations stops of the whole HSL area (all the participating municipalities).

The HSL stop data is matched with the ref-tag value of OSM stops. Import does not add/modify/remove any features. Only attributes of existing and matching OSM stops are modified (by adding H-prefix if stop ref-tag value is missing it). The names and shelter info are added only if missing and in conflicting cases OSM is considered "master data".

"We" are users houtari, HSL_PALAUTE and juusokor and eager to hear for your feedback.

Thank you for your time!

Juuso Korhonen
juusokor