[josm-dev] Preset Icon Backgrounds - SCNR :)

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Thu Oct 2 00:11:42 BST 2008

Hi,

more or less by accident, I tried to give some of the preset icons a
transparent background. To achieve this, I copied over some icons from
mappaint first, as mappaint icons often need a background color due to the
[default] black background in JOSM.

I converted many icons to B&W, as black is beautyful - just kidding. I got
some momochrome icons I found much more "readable" at 16x16 than the previous
ones. I might be wrong, though. I used some PD icons as found on
commons.wikipedia.org, and some from
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/

The latter source contains a converter script
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/SJJBMapIconsv0.01/generateicons.sh
which simply uses sed to derive various color schemes from the svg files. I
wonder if we could use a similar script to derive the preset and mappaint
icons from the same source automatically instead of doing it manually.

Needs some consideration about the file naming and folder structure. I'm for a
completely flat structure in various folders for various styles. The script
then could derive subfolders for the different styles ("White on
white", "Blue on blue", "Black on black" and so on).

Just my two cents,

ce