[josm-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu May 27 09:44:02 BST 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> And Avar, if one wanted some kind of more or less clean engine/library
> as a basis for other projects, JOSM would be the worst choice in my
> eyes. Much better to start with either the JOSM-NG codebase or the
> existing Java osmlib that has been built for Traveling Salesman!

I'm not so sure this is true anymore. JOSM's internal structure has been
reworked largely and it has a big advantage - it has been tested for a
long time and works reliable.

I never understood the idea of JOSM-NG at all. Living code is always to be
preferred in my eyes over design studies. And as the last months showed it
is possible to do major design rework in JOSM as well.