[josm-dev] Tabular edit of name tags

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Wed Jun 26 23:54:57 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> 2013/6/26 Hans Schmidt <z0idberg at gmx.de>
>
>> No, transcriptions/transliterations usually cannot be done
>> automatically. There are so many irregularities or difficulties where it
>> is not possible. You also have to account for creating spaces when there
>> are none in the original example, the actual pronunciation is irregular
>> (especially in Japan). Why should it not be stored inside the
>> appropriate name tag?
>>

> It should indeed then be stored in the appropriate name tag, but name:en is
> not appropriate ;-)
> name:ja:Latn seems a better choice (at least the concept, I have no idea
> whether this is the correct tag in this example)

Transliterations depend on the target language, not only on the
script. A transliteration of a Russian name might look different
depending on whether it is done for a German or an English speaking
audience.

One known Russion composer's name is transliterated into Enlish as
"Tchaikovsky", into German as "Tschaikowski", into French as
"Tchaïkovski", and into Spanish as "Chaikovski" (see Wikipedia). All
these languages use Latin script.

Matthias