[josm-dev] Request for review of plugins

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Feb 25 11:55:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, Marián Kyral wrote:

>>  https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/DevelopingPlugins
>
> Yes, I read this page, several times ;-)
> I think, it needs some improvements. E.g.: how to handle version in manifest
> for new plugin without commit to svn (se below).

Feel free to improve it...

>>  a) You aren't required to have plugins in OSM-SVN. External plugins are
>>  also supported, see https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Plugins , but SVN
>>  has some advantages (like translations).
>
> No I aren't, but in case of Tracer plugin it is much better to update the
> source. It will avoid all possible future issues.
> I would like to keep git and sync it with the JOSM svn (via git-svn or by
> applying patches)
>
> Teoretically, I could manage PoinInfo externally, but I have an issue with
> versions in Manifest file. I tried git mirror - but I was not able to compile
> plugins. Now I'm using svn tree, but ant requires at least one commit of the
> new plugin, otherwise "ant dist" fails in target init-svn-revision-xml
> I have no idea how to fix it without commit to JOSM svn. As an workaround,
> I've changed <arg value="."/> to <arg value="../tracer"/>.

... or fix the build-common.xml. When reading the text it tells me, that
svn should fail and git be used instead. Seems your svn does not fail
enough? It probably delivers something. Maybe a check is needed to detect
that invalid output?

Still we encourage using the SVN for several reasons, I18n and
installation history for old JOSM versions are the two most important
ones.