[josm-dev] JOSM main map style converted to MapCSS format

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Mon May 19 06:43:33 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I have completed the conversion of the main map style in JOSM to the
MapCSS format [1]. The new style (which should ideally look about the
same as the old one) is activated by default since version 7139. For
comparison, the original XML style is still available in the map paint
dialog [2].

Please don't hesitate to report anything strange or erroneous. You can
add a comment in the meta ticket #9691 [3], or just open a new ticket.
There are some minor intentional changes, e.g. the priorities for
objects with multiple main tags may have changed. For example a node
tagged as amenity=restaurant & tourism=hotel used to show a restaurant
icon and now shows a hotel icon. This can also be reported if you think
the new priorities are wrong and should be fixed.

Why did we switch? Well, almost all of our newer user contributed styles
[4] are written in MapCSS. Compared to the XML format, MapCSS was more
powerful when it was introduced and has been constantly extended and
improved. Even the performance is now on par, after a number of
optimizations in this month.
So there is simply no reason to stick to the solid, but somewhat dusty
XML format. Instead we should use the options of the new format to
enhance the default style.

Anyone is invited to contribute ideas, styles, patches, etc.! They can
be submitted in ticket #10043 [5].

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapcss
[2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Dialog/MapPaint
[3] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/9691