[josm-dev] Plugin installation without restart

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:13:19 UTC 2015

On 12.02.2015 20:43, Malcolm Herring wrote:
> On 12/02/2015 18:59, Paul Hartmann wrote:
>> There is a guide [1] on how to get your plugin ready to support this new
>> feature. The good news is that there is usually nothing or very little
>> to change, but it still needs to be tested.
>
> OK, I followed the instructions & built a renamed test version &
> installed it on the latest JOSM, No restart prompt appeared, & using the
> plugin, it seemed to be working OK.

Great! Out of the 12 plugins I've adapted so far, only 3 actually needed
a change in the source code, so you might be lucky.

> The question is, what are the key things to test? Is there a particular
> operation that would be expected to fail if the plugin were not compatible?

Mostly it was related to missed layer change events when the layer was
already present at time of installation.

For example in the photo_adjust plugin, you couldn't move the photos
with the mouse when the photo layer was already active at installation
time. You should also check that the disabling and enabling of buttons
and menu entries works as expected.

What I did was read the source code of the constructor and
mapFrameInitialized method of the plugin main class and look for
something that might not work when a MapFrame already exists and layers
are open.

Paul