[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] collective and derived work - a real world example

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Jul 4 14:35:31 BST 2007

Peter Miller wrote:
> Thanks for all the collective thinking on this one.
>
> How about this legal device in the situation that the 'Work' is set to
> music? If the CC-BY-SA OSM movie is set to music and the music is also
> CC-BY_SA or copyright with CC-BY-SA permission then the resulting work must
> also be CC-BY-SA (as it is a Derived Work).
>
> However.... and here is the 'twist'; this new Derived Work is itself a Work
> and could in turn be used as a Collective Work with the rest of the TV
> broadcast and the TV broadcasters copyright is then safe. What one could not
> do is to directly copyright a Derived Work from OSM an OSM movie 'set to
> music', but this is not something that I require. My whole aim is to create
> publicity for all parties and CC-BY-SA is the way to do that.

Yes (and hopefully everyone agrees with me here?) as long as the output
from OSM ends up CC-BY-SA then you'll always(?) be fine.
> There seem to have differing opinions on the list about what happens when
> the final CC-BY_SA Work is shown on TV, but I am not overly concerned about
> that bit at this stage and many other sectors must have the same question.
> What if a TV news program wants to show a home movie of an event that is on
> youtube uuder CC-BY-SA? That is surely the same question and must have been
> answered already.
Good point;  the same thing would apply here. If they showed the "movie"
as a whole then it's probably a reasonable assumption that provided that
this is being shown in full and unmodified then the collective work
probably still stands. However, if they modify the original work, for
example shorten it then this would constitute a new "derived" work which
would then be CC-BY_SA licensed, however this new work could easily be
licensed in this way and uploaded onto youtube as "OSM Movie as shown on
10 o'clock news" this would then be shown as part of a collective work?

Cheers
Chris

http://www.chrisfleming.org/