[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jul 11 06:08:50 BST 2007

Good points.

My interpretation is that planet.osm is a new Derived Work each week and
could be made available on the latest CC-BY-SA licence, ie 3.0.

Would you suggest that the attribution on paper would be as follows?

"Map licence CC-BY-SA 3.0, details www.openstreetmap.org/licence"

The web version would link from CC-BY-SA 3.0 to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ and it might be appropriate
to adjust the displayed text for the openstreetmap link.

Personally I think this is getting pretty crisp and practical. It does rely
on a few specific legal opinions that we would need to get checked out by a
real lawyer (as I mentioned in the previous post) and of course we can then
fiddle with the detailed wording until the cows come home which sounds like
fun.

Have I missed anything?

Peter

"

rob at robmyers.org
Tue Jul 10 13:58:44 BST 2007

Quoting Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com

> Agreed, 'Some rights reserved' is not every precise and 'CC-BY-SA' gives
> more information to the informed reader in the same text length.
>
> "data from www.openstreetmap.org, CC-BY-SA licence" makes a lot of sense.
> assume this text would be linked to the OSM site and Creative Commons
> licence page respectively when used on a web site.

Make sure to include the licence version (e.g. CC-BY-SA-2.5). It's
probably easiest to link to the licence URL at Creative Commons, which
gives the version number as part of the address and explains the
acronym.

It might be worth making a static "Licence" page on the osm site to
handle licencing and attribution. This would be the URL mentioned by
the licence.

So you could just say:

Map licence, see: http://www.openstreetmap.org/licence

One thing that is worth considering is how to handle CC Licence
upgrades. The "upgrade clause" in the BY_SA covers only derivative
works. You could argue that an updated version of the OSM database is
a derivative, in which case this would make it possible to upgrade the
licence as soon as someone added some extra data, but IANAL so I'm not
sure about this.

- Rob.

---

Peter Miller   Ito!    peter.miller at itoworld.com     www.itoworld.com