[OSM-legal-talk] Buildings : Tracing or copying ?

Thu Aug 21 18:22:24 BST 2008

Nic Roets wrote:

> If an architect designed a unique shape for a building, can we be sued
> for tracing that building from Y! images ?

Certainly not under UK law. Quote:

"62 Representation of certain artistic works on public display
(1) This section applies to -
(a) buildings, and
(b) sculptures, models for buildings and works of artistic craftsmanship, if
permanently situated in a public place or in premises open to the public.
(2) The copyright in such a work is not infringed by -
(a) making a graphic work representing it,
(b) making a photograph or film of it, or
(c) making a broadcast of a visual image of it."

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/cdpact1988.pdf

cheers
Richard