[OSM-legal-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 9 00:30:19 GMT 2008

Hi,

> But recently Merano, Italy released all their mapping data, with the
> the only restriction being attribution. The UN has released mapping
> data over Sudan with similar restriction. I'm in discussion
> currently with Catalonia over release of their data, and I don't
> imagine them giving up attribution. I'm not sure about the situation
> with the Falklands Islands data, and potentially GeoBase in Canada
> ..

Maybe, maybe not. If these people are happy with what OSM has on offer
now, they might also have been happy if OSM were PD but would assure
them that there's one big source directory on the OSM web page saying
we got this and that from these folks. All speculation.

I must say however that Jochen has a point: OSM did not start out as a
political project with the aim of convincing as many data providers as
possible to release their data. OSM started as a do-it-yourself
project, and even though it is always nice to hava existing data
released to us, the do-it-yourself aspect is still the backbone on
which we rely.

So even if nobody would give us their data, that would not endanger
the project - at least not the project as it started a few years ago.
Have we changed to be dependent on others releasing their data?