[OSM-legal-talk] License Change Status?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Tue Jul 1 16:11:30 BST 2008

El Martes, 1 de Julio de 2008, Frédéric Bonifas escribió:
> A little naive question : if we go ODBL, what will be the license of
> the images produced with osm data (maps etc)?

IIRC, the ODbL applies only to the data*base*, and the Factual Info License
applies to the data *within* the database.

So, if you get the data and transform it so it stops being a DB (e.g. render a
non-vectorial map), the only license that applies is the Factual Info one.
Which means that the data is a fact and is (something very very close to)
public domain. Which means that the share-alike component does not carry on
to maps.

At least that was the idea when the ODbL and OFIL licenses came along. I'm
eager to review the modifications and changes done to those licenses.

Cheers,
--

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a
week sometimes to make it up.
		-- Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad"