[OSM-legal-talk] A very brief brief for our new licence

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 12:49:10 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:18:00AM +0000, Johann H. Addicks wrote:
> [Attribution]
> > unless they receive a formal request from the
> > foundation for the work not to be attributed.
>
> I strongly disagree with this part.
> Omitting the attribution should not be an option.

I too disagree with that part of the brief.  Although we would allow
collective attribution to the OpenStreetMap project, OSM != OSMF.  OSMF
should have no right to waive attribution on behalf of contributors to
OSM.  Collective attribution also does not mean any other rights than
that of individual attribution is waived.  If someone did want
attribution to be waived, all rights holders would have to be contacted,
effectively making it impractical anyway.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall