[OSM-legal-talk] New site about the license change

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Nov 16 20:05:23 GMT 2010

On 11/16/2010 07:10 PM, Anthony wrote:

> Why would you send an email to the list explaining that? By doing so
> aren't you "engaging with me"?

By throwing out an old sock are you not holding on to it?

> I certainly have in the past pointed out your inconsistencies.

I don't remember that. Can you point out where?

> That is, in fact, what I was doing just now.
> You say you want PD, then you

If you haven't worked out that Richard is a principled PD proponent by
now there's really no helping you.

> criticize CC-BY-SA for being too PD-like,

[citation needed]

> then you criticize it again
> for not forcing people to share.

And if you ask a barkeeper for a drink and they try to drown you then
you clearly have no recourse in law.

I think that what you've confected here is the observation that the
ODbL's extent is greater than BY-SA's but its depth isn't. This (and I
have the nagging suspicion I've mentioned this to you before once or
twice) fits with the community standards around mash-ups and use of OSM
data that have emerged over time but that BY-SA does not fit with even
where it applies.

> If I've questioned you as an individual, it's because I'm trying to
 > understand your motives.

And if you're seeing this on your monitor it's because I've pressed
"Send" on the button bar.

- Rob.