[OSM-legal-talk] using osm data and other sources in a project

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 03:17:24 BST 2011

Hi,

First post here.

I have a mapping project for an organization involved in conservation
and natural resources management.  We are planning to create an
internal/local webmapping application to help the organization in
monitoring several projects in an area.  We would like to to use a
subset of OSM data and mix the org's internal data in the application.
 Basic data are as follows:

1. roads and waterways - from OSM
2. landuse/landcover with very specific classes  - internal org data
3. project site and status - internal org data

We will download the osm data and create our own tiles/wms.  For the
roads, we will update the attributes for additional info the org needs
(i.e. admin types, etc).  For the river, we will also update
attributes (i. e. stream orders, etc.).  We plan to add the additional
geometry to OSM whenever there are improvements, but I don't think the
other specific attributes are needed by OSM.  For the other internal
data, this will be on a separate db/layer but will probably be
integrated into the osm layers for simple map-based monitoring
reports.

Is this a legal use case of OSM data? Specifically,
1.  Is it OK not adding back to the main OSM db the modified
attributes of the OSM layers?
2.  Where should we include attribution requirements? (in the webmap
ala openlayers attribution js, in all map reports, etc.)
3.  What about the use of WMS/Tiles combining both osm and other
internal datasets?

Thanks!
--
cheers,