[OSM-legal-talk] using osm data and other sources in a project

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Mon Aug 15 11:32:39 BST 2011

Hey Maning,

I'm going to take a stab at answering this, since I'm trying to
understand the implications myself.  If I'm wrong hopefully someone
will let me know.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM, maning sambale
<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a mapping project for an organization involved in conservation
> and natural resources management.  We are planning to create an
> internal/local webmapping application to help the organization in
> monitoring several projects in an area.  We would like to to use a
> subset of OSM data and mix the org's internal data in the application.
>  Basic data are as follows:
>
> 1. roads and waterways - from OSM
> 2. landuse/landcover with very specific classes  - internal org data
> 3. project site and status - internal org data
>
> We will download the osm data and create our own tiles/wms.  For the
> roads, we will update the attributes for additional info the org needs
> (i.e. admin types, etc).  For the river, we will also update
> attributes (i. e. stream orders, etc.).  We plan to add the additional
> geometry to OSM whenever there are improvements, but I don't think the
> other specific attributes are needed by OSM.  For the other internal
> data, this will be on a separate db/layer but will probably be
> integrated into the osm layers for simple map-based monitoring
> reports.
>
> Is this a legal use case of OSM data? Specifically,
> 1.  Is it OK not adding back to the main OSM db the modified
> attributes of the OSM layers?

I think since you are releasing the combined data as a product i.e.
WMS this is okay.  If you were offering download of the data then you
would need to make everything available.

> 2.  Where should we include attribution requirements? (in the webmap
> ala openlayers attribution js, in all map reports, etc.)

I think you would do this in all of these cases.  I am not sure the
most appropriate case for WMS though,  Perhaps in the metadata
returned from the GetCapabilities request?

> 3.  What about the use of WMS/Tiles combining both osm and other
> internal datasets?

This should be fine, these are considered "products".  You just need
to continue to attribute OSM appropriately.

Hope this is helpful and someone corrects me if it doesn't make sense:).

-Kate