[OSM-legal-talk] I want my access back

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Fri Aug 12 21:47:30 BST 2011

On 12.08.2011 11:46,  Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Up to now the pre-CT mappers have not even asked if a license change
> should happen at all, and WHICH license be switched to.

May I remind you a litte bit on the history of the licence change...
(all as far as I know)

While the first SOTM at Manchester (July 2007) there was a pannel about
the license. BTW:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2007/Licensing_OSM%E2%80%99s_Data
   http://www.archive.org/details/Sotm07PanelDebate-LicensingOsmData

While this panel it got clear that CC-By-SA is not appropriate and maybe
it is not valid worldwide for geodata. So while that conference there
was the request to the foundation to check whether CC-By-SA is valid
worldwide and if not to find an appropriate licence. Due to
consultations with lawyers it got clear that it needs to be changed and
this was done. The licence working group was founded 2008, everybody was
invited to join. So you can't complain that

As this was very early and I guess that you joined OSM later you might
simply not being aware of this fact.

BTW: once more for those who speak German: there was a very fine fine
talk from Frederik while the FOSSGIS 2011 about the licence change
(including the history). I encourage you to view the video or have a
look on the slides.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FOSSGIS_2011 => "Die neue
OpenStreetMap-Lizenz"

Best regards,