[OSM-legal-talk] Interpretation of a Mexian license

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Aug 13 03:01:15 BST 2012

I agree the license is not permissive enough but I think we should wait with removing the data.

Last Thursday we had a meeting with Alejandro Cervantes, Subdirector de Vinculación con Sectores Estratégicos of INEGI, the Mexican national statistics institute who's data is in question here. The meeting was unrelated to this import.

INEGI's data policies are changing right now under the specter of the the Open Government Partnership, he has assured us verbally that as of recently, there's no problem in using their data for OpenStreetMap. This is of course not enough for starting to use INEGI data in OpenStreetMap, so I have followed up with him to get this statement in written form including a link to published terms of use or laws.

I hope to hear back from him this week. I will also try to get information through other channels.

Any pointers to the data that has been imported?