[OSM-legal-talk] License question, user clicking on map

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:07:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Jonathan Harley <jon at spiffymap.net> wrote:
> On 02/03/13 16:17, Erik Johansson wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Jonathan Harley <jon at spiffymap.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So - *must* you make your database of user-sourced geodata available to
>>> the
>>> OSM community? I answer no, so long as it resulted from a produced work
>>> and
>>
>> This feel very iffy, I thought this had been disproven already, I
>> might be wrong, but that would mean that the ODBL is really totally
>> useless. You have obviously given this much thought so I'm interested
>>
>> Map data copyright does not magically disappear just because you print
>> it with a free map design. When doing methodical extraction of geo
>> data, you are not copying the produced work, but the map data so it is
>> still a copy of a copyrigthed database.

[..]
> The ODbL definition of a produced work specifically includes images, and its
> definition of conveying the database specifically excludes produced works.
> In the discussion on legal-talk back in October, everyone seemed to agree
> that this means that produced works do not have to be licensed under ODbL.
> If they are not (and they usually aren't), then of course nothing derived
> from the produced work is either.

I will reiterate, as long as you treat our data as a DB it will have
to be licensed as ODbL, all produced works from ODbL data should
include an attribution stating that it has information licensed under
ODbL (see section 4.3a).  I don't think that thread will make me
change my mind but I will read it and try to spot any mistake on my
part.

/Erik