[OSM-legal-talk] GADM license - any news?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 16:19:03 UTC 2015

On 8/21/2015 7:41 AM, Simone Aliprandi wrote:
> Do you know if any news have come in these six years? Do you know if
> OSM received a sort of "direct permission" to include those data in
> the OSM database?

GADM is still under a non-commercial license. I don't know who said they
were going to investigate, so you'd have to ask them, but I doubt
anything came of it. Independently of that, we got permission for some
datasets from GADM after the fact of a bad import, but this does not
mean we can import anything new.

> Another interesting issue is that Naturalearthdata.com
> (http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) includes the GADM dataset as a
> source of data (see
> http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/10m-admin-1-states-provinces/).
> But Naturalearthdata.com release ALL ITS DATA as public domain. So...
> something is missing in the workflow. Any ideas/suggestions?
I don't see anything that says the admin 1 theme is derived from GADM. I
can see it listed in resources, but that's not a list of sources.