[OSM-legal-talk] GADM license - any news?

Simone Aliprandi simone.aliprandi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 10:02:47 UTC 2015

Thanks for your answer, Paul.
Some further comments below.

> GADM is still under a non-commercial license. I don't know who said they
> were going to investigate, so you'd have to ask them, but I doubt
> anything came of it. Independently of that, we got permission for some
> datasets from GADM after the fact of a bad import, but this does not
> mean we can import anything new.

Which are these datasets? Are they relevant or minor datasets?

>> Another interesting issue is that Naturalearthdata.com
>> (http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) includes the GADM dataset as a
>> source of data (see
>> http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/10m-admin-1-states-provinces/).
>> But Naturalearthdata.com release ALL ITS DATA as public domain. So...
>> something is missing in the workflow. Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> I don't see anything that says the admin 1 theme is derived from GADM. I
> can see it listed in resources, but that's not a list of sources.

Ok, I understand your point of view.
I am not sure what they mean with "resources". Reading the whole page,
it seems like the mean "sources"... but who knows.

Here you can find a discussion about the GADM/NaturalEarthj licensins
issues: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/forums/topic/licensing-naturalearth-pd-vs-gadm-license/
Someone supports the theory that the administrative boundaries are
FACTS (see also the Feist Case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_Publications,_Inc.,_v._Rural_Telephone_Service_Co)
and then in the public domain by default.

Thanks. Bye, Simone
--
Simone Aliprandi - http://www.aliprandi.org | http://www.array.eu