[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Henning Hollburg henning.hollburg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:00:04 UTC 2015

Let's say I have a great source of Floating Car Data (FCD). I'd like to use
this FCD to calculate precise weights for edges I derived from OSM. These
edges will be used in an online navigation application later on. Do I need
to publish these weights according to the ODbL?

In general I believe that in the next years more and more of such
applications will pop up as the required FCD is increasingly easy to get.
Also I believe there is a great potential in such applications. It will be
just a matter of time until such applications will be more than just a
marketing blurb.

So it would be interesting to know what this means in an ODbL context.

I do see the point, that TeleNav has contributed a lot to OSM directly and
don't want to neglect that at all. I really appreciate what they did and
do. Still the ODbL is the same for everyone...

Best regards

Henning