[OSM-legal-talk] missing attribution for use of OSM data

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Mon Jan 26 12:38:13 UTC 2015

hi folks,
auckland, new zealand has a council-controlled website which is used for
route planning on public transport. having done a lot of editing on osm
over the years, i know the osm data pretty well, and can spot its use
quite easily [1]. from what i can see, the transport routing site
doesn't mention osm anywhere, or give correct attribution.

one of my friends has put in a freedom of information request to the
council, to confirm it is osm data and to get formal confirmation for
who the contractors are - we know this already though, from examining
the website, it's smartrak.co.nz

as an aside, it appears their own website may also have unattributed osm
data, depicting central auckland:
http://www.smartrak.co.nz/Info/images/home-map-v2.jpg

we are confident the data is from osm. assuming it is, what are the best
steps to take?

this is the site:
https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/journey-planner/

[1] the inconsistent tracing of buildings, hedges, fences and driveways
were a big giveaway, but there are many others, such as geometry and
naming mistakes, odd road geometry i've drawn in and new features which
have only been built in the last two weeks

thanks,

--
robin

What the world needs now, is love sweet love