[OSM-legal-talk] Using OSM data without modifying - are there any guidelines?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jun 27 09:15:53 UTC 2015

Naturally, in a perfect world, you are correct.

Unluckily experience shows (both here and on help) that the responders
don't point to the guidelines and the other relevant material (at best
they refer to outdated pre-licence change wiki pages) they offer their
own, not clearly identified as such, opinions.

Now if the people asking the questions were aware of that and took the
answers with multiple grains of salt, you could say: ok, let the
armchair lawyers have their fun. Alas what happens is that it simply
provides perfect material for the FUD-mongers.

For the record, the OSMFs policies are enshrined in the following places:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Community_Guidelines

Simon