[Local-chapters] Items from this weeks teleconference.

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 00:41:14 BST 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Ulf Möller <usenet at ulfm.de> wrote:

> > * Bylaws/Governing rules will need to be submitted and formally
> >
> > accepted by OSM-F before a local chapter can become a legal entity
>

> That sounds like the foundation taking an active role in incorporating
> the local chapters. What effects would that have? Wouldn't it be better
> to have local chapters as independent legal entities that enter into an
> agreement with the foundation?
>
> When we trust them to represent OSM, can't we also trust them to
> organize themselves? (Keep in mind in most cases the OSMF would have to
> hire translators and local lawyers to make any sense of the bylaws...)

Well, the Wikimedia Foundation requires aspriring local chapters to submit
to them the by laws and/or articles of incorporation *before* incorporating
so that the Foundation can be sure that the would-be local chapter does
indeed subscribe to the Foundation's mission--at least on paper. This also
means that Wikimedia local chapters need to be new legal entities and cannot
be preexisting entities.

So this idea is not without precedent.