[Local-chapters] Items from this weeks teleconference.

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Sat Sep 12 10:42:14 BST 2009

 In our case we have several data sources from public and also private
sector which cannot contribute to OSM. Some due to license incompatibility,
and some with purely technical reasons like OSM not supporting imagery and
transit data yet. The sources generally can and want to share their data as
a open source. Technically, we need to create own local database, which is
maybe 50% OSM, and 50% other sources by the end of the day. Of course we
want to contribute as much as we can to the global OSM database, but our
bylaws and actual activities are still 50% OSM and 50% not directly related
with OSM.

 So I would not go too far with the parallel to Wikimedia. Wikipedia is
quite unique and specific project, and it is not probable that there are
existing local entities and activities with similar aim. There you need
special organizations. Open geodata is wider concept, which needs more
localization, therefore looser relation between local chapters and OSM-F
makes sense for me. We are not only local representatives of OSM, we need to
do much more; and I feel that this actually in the spirit of OSM more than
strictly limiting ourselves with OSM.

/Jaak

Well, the Wikimedia Foundation requires aspriring local chapters to submit
to them the by laws and/or articles of incorporation *before* incorporating
so that the Foundation can be sure that the would-be local chapter does
indeed subscribe to the Foundation's mission--at least on paper. This also
means that Wikimedia local chapters need to be new legal entities and cannot
be preexisting entities.

So this idea is not without precedent.