[Mapcss] Proposal: Drop css's ugly colour specifications

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Feb 7 13:13:18 GMT 2011

Hi.
I'm not developing MapCSS stuff, yet; but I'm a web programmer and an
application programmer.

I don't see the big benefit in dropping the "traditional html" mode of
color specification.

There are two issues mentioned here:
1) 255 as a base is not familiar to cartographers and graphic-people;
based on decimal system could be better
2) 0..255 restricts to 24 bit colors.

I think, DROPPING that scheme is not a good idea.
The first argument I mentioned is correct - but I see MapCSS as a great
idea for web-designers, too in the long term.

Perhaps it could even be possible to use "classical/DOM" CSS classes and
MapCSS classes together to unify the color scheme of the website with
the map shown inside.

The "drawback" from MapCSS implementor's side would be the calculation
of a "canonic" color value - but that's not a big deal - no matter if
the interpreter works on rgb, rgba, hsr or any other color scheme.

It's possible even to add a kind of a preprocessor changing the format
or to give "tuning advices" for stylesheet authors "Renderer XY prefers
rgba(); #abcdef would lead to more processing time needed.

regards
Peter