[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:02:43 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/3/4 Andrew Shadura <bugzilla at tut.by>:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:04:48 +0100
> I'm not particularly happy with what's happening with MapCSS. It's
> understandable when certain software doesn't implement some features,
> as sometimes there may be technical or other obstacles for that. When
> features are implemented a very different way, or implemented without
> prior discussions, this leads to chaos. And that's what we have now.

I guess that one of the reasons for this "chaos" is the slow (or not
at all) progress in the MapCSS specification. Tagging is evolving fast
and we need much more sophisticated rendering possibilities.

> In my opinion, JOSM implements MapCSS in a very bad way, and its
> extensions are extremly non-systematic and against the spirit of
> CSS-like languages at all and MapCSS in particular. Function naming
> is very strange and is not easily readable.

Maybe it is a "very bad way" but at least it is a way. Pure MapCSS has
no way at all for such monstrous styles like mine.

> I think that it's a good time to put all information about various
> extensions into one big table and try to unify and systematise them.

Here we agree. But - and that's a big but - how intend you to get all
developers of MapCSS renderers on one table and agree on a new,
improved specification? And preferable not until 2016 but until - lets
say - end of march? That's the real problem here.

Best regards,
Martin

P.S: a related discussion on josm-dev:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2013-March/006485.html