[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Andrew Shadura bugzilla at tut.by
Tue Mar 5 15:15:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 5 March 2013 14:02, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:04:48 +0100
>> I'm not particularly happy with what's happening with MapCSS. It's
>> understandable when certain software doesn't implement some features,
>> as sometimes there may be technical or other obstacles for that. When
>> features are implemented a very different way, or implemented without
>> prior discussions, this leads to chaos. And that's what we have now.

> I guess that one of the reasons for this "chaos" is the slow (or not
> at all) progress in the MapCSS specification. Tagging is evolving fast
> and we need much more sophisticated rendering possibilities.

It's slow because nobody's doing it. When I say nobody I mean 0 (zero,
naught) persons. If a discussion started, some progress would be
visible.

>> In my opinion, JOSM implements MapCSS in a very bad way, and its
>> extensions are extremly non-systematic and against the spirit of
>> CSS-like languages at all and MapCSS in particular. Function naming
>> is very strange and is not easily readable.

> Maybe it is a "very bad way" but at least it is a way. Pure MapCSS has
> no way at all for such monstrous styles like mine.

Sure, as nobody (zero people) has asked for those features. No
proposals, no discussions, nothing. Just work behind closed doors.

>> I think that it's a good time to put all information about various
>> extensions into one big table and try to unify and systematise them.

> Here we agree. But - and that's a big but - how intend you to get all
> developers of MapCSS renderers on one table and agree on a new,
> improved specification? And preferable not until 2016 but until - lets
> say - end of march? That's the real problem here.

Why not? This is an open mailing list, everyone's free to start the discussion.

--
WBR, Andrew