[Mapcss] "Layer" in MapCSS

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Wed Sep 18 14:01:26 UTC 2013

> Sorry if I'm annoying, but I'm currently trying to implement the MapCSS 0.2
> specification for pgmapcss[1] as closely as possible. On the other hand,
> some proof-reading doesn't hurt, does it? ;-)
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapCSS/0.2#Rendering_Order says:
>   "1. Objects with lower layer should always be rendered first."
>
> I didn't find any other mention of "layer" in the specification before, so
> how do I define the "layer" of an object?

In that case, "layer" is value of layer= tag, with default of 0. That
gives automagical perfect rendering of multi-level crossings.
Probably it should be changed somehow to kick this behaviour in from
stylesheet itself, but I haven't found a better solution.

kothic/komap also have special value to redefine it to "top" or
"bottom" for the rule.
https://github.com/kothic/kothic/blob/master/src/komap.py#L391