[Merkaartor] Upload error "Precondition failed"

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Thu Sep 11 12:59:28 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:08:48PM +0200, Chris Browet wrote:
> Let's take "highway=trunk" as an example.
> How am I suppose to translate "trunk", which, AFAIK, is an englo-english
> categorization?
> Even if I would translate it in something approaching in frencho-french
> ("nationale" by instance), my fellow belgians, the swiss, or the canadians
> won't have the same interpretation of it.

There is fr_BE, fr_fr etc for such cases? If carrying multiple
translations of the same language is too cumbersome, we can also split
of just the tags as merkaartortags_XX_XX.qm and leave the main program
translations in merkaartor_XX.qm

> On the contrary, mappers know what a "highway=trunk" means, i.e."something"
> between a motorway and a primary road (again purely english
> categorizations).

Well, they still see the english name in the tag list just below the
combobox?

> Whatever, back to the point, I think there are more experienced mappers
> willing to see "trunk" than "nationale", so the default should be leave it
> in english.
> You can still set the options otherwise for your dad ;-)

Isn't the point of a default so to set it for the inexperienced user and
have a preset for the experienced ones? I must admit I am slightly
leaning towards translating it by default.

cu bart