[Merkaartor] Upload error "Precondition failed"

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Sep 11 13:51:27 BST 2008

> > Sorry, I'm using gmail and there is not much (that I know) that I can do
> to solve... what is the problem again?
>
> You have no quoting signs. That means your quoted and your own text cannot
> be distinguished.

Strange. I do see quoting signs myself, in message I send and the ones I
receive...

> > Let's take "highway=trunk" as an example. How am I suppose to translate
> > "trunk", which, AFAIK, is an englo-english categorization? Even if I
> > would translate it in something approaching in frencho-french
> > ("nationale" by instance), my fellow belgians, the swiss, or the
> > canadians won't have the same interpretation of it.
>
> QT has different languages e.g. we have de_DE, de_CH and de_AT. If there
> are differences, these can be solved by supplying different translations.
> When the master parts are equal, the different sets can be generated
> automatically.

True

>  And also the knowledge for experienced mappers extends to known
> permanently used types. For new stuff they usually wont know what it
> means.

More than true. They should the go to the features description page,
shouldn't htey?
When I go to "http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Fr:Map_Features", i.e.
the features description in french, the tags are still in english...

> > I consider translating the presets like translating an american
> > cookbook, translating "oz" into "onces" (or whatever in german). It's
> > just meaningless because it's not the word that matters, it's what it
> > means.
>
> That's a very strange point of view. If we are on it, we also do not
> translate pepper and salt and water and sugar and all the other
> ingredients? Because this is what you request.

My point was that sugar is sugar. Ounces meaning vary by time and place,
even more its french counterpart.

> > Whatever, back to the point, I think there are more experienced mappers
> > willing to see "trunk" than "nationale", so the default should be leave
> > it in english. You can still set the options otherwise for your dad ;-)
>
> You change a default setting of the current version without any good
> reason to support your personal somewhat strange opinion. Where are these
> many mappers complaining about the translated texts? Except french (and
> probably the anyway incomplete russian) all languages have been translated
> completely in 0.11 and only one person complained about it.

I didn't change anything, I'm just discussing.
I didn't say "many", I said "more". The fact is that I received one complain
regarding the german translation behaviour while I didn't receive any
regarding the french one. (Ok, ok, some bad faith, here, there is probably
more german users than french by a factor of 1000 ;-).

Whatever. You have your opinion and I have mine. You're the owner of german
translation, I'm the one for french (and I don't mind somebody translating
the tags in french) and Bart is the owner of the language patch.
I don't intend to do anything. Bart sets the default setting to whatever it
sees fit.

- Chris -