[OSM-newbies] Beginner in unmapped region - Adelaide, Australia

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Mar 14 17:59:58 GMT 2007

Paul Schulz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have just bought myself s USB GPS receiver, and have started
> recording traces around Adelaide, South Australia. Inspired by the
> article in LinuxUser & Developer (Issue 67) I have subscribed to
> OpenStreetMap and uploaded a couple of traces, and am very keen to map
> my local area.. which is a new development and poorly services by
> existing road maps.
>
> The problem that I have now is what to do next.. there doesn't seem to
> be any background image information (I get the "...more OSI coming
> soon." image) if I zoom in too far on the map.
>
> I have downloaded (compiled/installed) Merkaator, but don't understand
> what the 'Upload / Download' actions are ment to do. (Download gives
> me a map by Betje Wolffstraat, and the one used in the example in the
> Article.. nice, but how do I get started on my own area?)

I'm not aware of Merkaator or what the article suggested, however most
people use josm in order to edit and tag.

My suggestion would be to download and run josm, it's usually safe (and
best) to get the "latest" build.

The process is actually quite simple, first time round I would start by
screen. Now use the download button to download information from the
server, the advantage of doing things this way is that it will default
to cover the area of your trace. If the trace is over a wide area then
you may want to zoom in on a smaller area.  This will download any
existing data including any gps points.

There is plenty of information on the wiki on editing and tagging; so I
wont go into the details now, but the process is pretty simple: Create
Nodes, Join Nodes to make segments, Create Ways from Segments, label
Ways and upload!

One tip is to start by downloading an area that already has some data in
it you can have a look and see the tagging and how things fit together,
this will give you a good idea of how to get going.

It's also probably worth using some of the plugins for JOSM, the list is
here http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/wiki/Plugins

I use the osmarender render plugin for instant feedback, wmsplugin for
background images. I know a lot of people also use the mappaint plugin

Enjoy.

Chris