[OSM-newbies] Data layer doesn't look like track shape

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:10:08 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 07:04:05 Mark Williams wrote:
>  > Anne Wilson wrote:
>  > > On Tuesday 22 April 2008 20:01:20 Mark Williams wrote:
>  > >> Anne Wilson wrote:
>  > >>> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 13:13:05 ael wrote:
>  > >>>> Andy Robinson wrote:
>  > >>>>> On 22/04/2008, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  > >>>>>>  > Can you confirm what you have the tracklog interval set at. If
>  > >>>>>>  > its not set to 1 second interval then do so and take a walk
>  > >>>>>>  > around the block (after getting a good fix).
>  >
>  > [snip]
>  >
>  > > In the morning I'll have a look at that.  You seem to be saying that it
>  > > is seen as a storage device?
>  > >
>  > > I'm thoroughly confused by the other method.  I used gpsbabel as
>  > > instructed, and it most certainly did not give the trace that I see on
>  > > the eTrex screen. Fingers crossed that your method gives me better
>  > > results.
>  > >
>  > > Anne
>  >
>  > Just so!
>  >
>  > Track log interval is set (from the main menu - press 'find' twice) by
>  > picking tracks, then set-up, then 'auto' & 'most often'.
>
>  I can't see that.  Set-up offers me time, display, units, interface and
>  system.  None of them refer to interval.

Its under Traces and then Setup (It is confusing, I also hadn't found
the option there until after owning the unit for a year!)

>  > You'll want to use 'clear' every few days as well.
>  >
>  > SUB is set, from the same point, as 'setup' then 'interface' then 'USB
>  > mass storage' - if you do this with USB connected you'll see the PC find
>  > the device & probably open a window with your Etrex as a USB-stick!
>  >
>  > When done, be sure to unmount it properly (either sync & umount, or from
>  > the file menu) - I'm assuming you're not using Windows! This is less
>  > important if you copy from it but essential if writing TO it.
>  >
>  Obviously I have the wrong model.  This is an eTrex H, and it doesn't look as
>  though I can affect the interval at all.  USB is not an option either,
>  although there's a mode 'Text' which might do the job.  I've not had much
>  time today.  I'll try again tomorrow.

The USB stuff doesn't apply here, I think the confusion is that you're
using a serial to usb device? You should use whatever linux /dev/ that
is created when plugged in.
gpsbabel expects the unit to be in Garmin data transfer mode.

>  Anne

Regards,
Thomas Wood
(Edgemaster)