[OSM-newbies] Schools and school grounds

Robert Helvie alimamo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 07:17:25 GMT 2008

Hi, a little collective wisdom, please ...

I've gotten to the point where I have a couple of schools surrounded by the
bordering residential streets so that I can delineate the school's property
boundaries.

<http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.34506&lon=127.44774&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF>
(use Osmarender)
<
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=36.344901,127.447597&spn=0.003478,0.004324&t=h&z=18

Originally I tagged the area with "school" but now I believe that might be
wrong since "school" is actually in the "building" submenu. (using JOSM
here). But I can't seem to find a tag that fits the fact that the school
property is outlined.

"Playground" under "Leisure" doesn't seem right because it is not really a
public playground and includes the school buildings. None of the tags under
"Landuse" seem right either. It is not "retail, not "commercial", not even
"residential."

Is the "school" tag correct for an area? Shouldn't there maybe be a "civic"
tag somewhere? Or am I just thinking to hard about it all?

I might eventually go back and actually map the school buildings, but I kind
of feel that the area of the school should be mapped out too.

On Google's Korean servers:
<
http://maps.google.co.kr/?ie=UTF8&ll=36.344755,127.447629&spn=0.006948,0.008647&z=17

On a Korean portal:
<http://map.naver.com/?x=127.4479572&y=36.3446454&level=1>

Any thoughts on how I should go about tagging the school property?

Also, I assume the tag for any area should have a negative layer value to
make it render below everything else, right?

Thanks for the help.

Robert
--
"We should give meaning to life, not wait for life to give to
give us meaning. "