[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps [ADVERT]

Stephen Wing swinguk at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:28:12 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Russ Phillips <russ at phillipsuk.org> wrote:

> > Weekly build of maps from all countries can be downloaded in native
> > Garmin (img) format from Cloudmade:
> > http://downloads.cloudmade.com/
>
> That could be quite useful. I'd intended to make my own, but I might
> just be lazy and download them from there ;-)

Although the Garmin IMG files available from CloudMade are very useful, they
are currently concentrating on the OSM.err version, which shows the errors
and no-names within the dataset to allow OSM mapper to improve the quality
of the existing data.

If, however, you are looking for maps that you can use on a day to day
basis, you would be better to preuse the complete list of Garmin download
options at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
which offers a number of other sources, including
Mapomatic<http://www.mapomatic.net/garmin-maps-download/>(hence the
advert addition to the subject line).  We are providing free
quarterly updates to 3 main UK Maps at this point:

- Standard UK OSM Map for Garmin
- UK OSM Cycle Map for Garmin
- UK OSM Canal Map for Garmin

The last one is a new feature we launched this week; and it emphasises the
UK canals and rivers, and include any useful POIs along those canals /
rivers that are within the OSM database.

Any requests for additional countries to be covered are welcome in our
forums.

Stephen
Mapomatic