[OSM-newbies] JOSM - Download just changes data?

Tino Hendricks t.hendricks at web.de
Thu Nov 12 22:26:33 GMT 2009

Dear List,

last night I tried to add missing data from my 40 km MTB ride to OSM. After working for 1.5 hours the upload of the changes failed several times with 412 errors.

I tried to drill down the problem by just downloading small areas, change them quickly and upload them back.
To make sure my work is not in vain I download data and directly click on upload changes.
Why is there an upload necessary, even if I don't even touch one single node??

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help

Tino